Friday, July 10, 2009

Great Ocean Walk


The walk was completed solo. It was a walk I was determined to do solo or not and as it turned out there was no one else using the campsites when I went through. The weather was wild and it only got fine on the last day. The campsites were pristine except for Aire River and Johanna which I suspect are too close to where morans can get to and make a bit of a mess. The coastal views were terrific and the beaches needed to be well timed to be able to do all of the low tide routes. I would do this walk again but probably not alone. I saw an overpopulation of Koalas at Blanket Bay and Cape Otway campsites and the Manna Gums in these areas were distinctly damaged by the overforaging by the bears. The rock formations were quite special and the views were stunning. I would reccommend this walk for anyone - it is easy, well marked and well set up for hikers.
The low tide routes are often along wave break platforms so not recommended unless the seas are calm and the tide isn't high.

No comments: